German Lutheran Church (1861-64), Southwest View, Perm', Russia
This southwest view of the Lutheran Church in Perm' was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Established in the 1720s as a factory settlement on the middle reaches of the Kama River, Perm’ (so named in 1781) is a city of many ethnic groups and faiths. In 1861, the small Lutheran community, primarily of German origin, was given permission to construct a house of worship on St. Catherine Street (current address: No. 38 Maksim Gor'kii Street). The brick structure was completed in 1864 to a design by the St. Petersburg architect Harald Bosse. Its elongated form, painted red with Gothic Revival touches, is typical for Lutheran churches in the Russian provinces. The church’s large windows provide ample light for the interior, which consists of an altar and rows of pews. The main entrance, on the west, is marked by a tower and steeple. Because of its small size, the community was served by a pastor who visited regularly from Yekaterinburg. By 1935 the church was closed and eventually adapted for use as the House of Actors. This organization was able to maintain the building in good repair, and in 1995 it was returned to the Lutheran community.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: July 28, 2017