Kiev-Mezhyhirya Earthenware Factory


This book is a compilation of articles about the famed Kiev-Mezhyhirya Earthenware Factory, which was part of the 10th-century Mezhyhirya Monastery. The factory was founded at the end of the 18th century and produced such quantities of faience that by the mid-19th century it was the largest industrial enterprise in Kiev. The first part of the book is dedicated to the history of the factory, and includes details and illustrations of the wide range of its products, both decorative pieces and more practical ones. The factory hallmarks (seals) are shown for the whole period from its inception until it ceased production in 1884. There are architectural drawings for the various factory buildings. This material is supplemented with essays of a more varied nature, on art and the worker (a sociological study on ways to instill love of art in workers and the role of applied art in the life of a worker), on the iconography of the Virgin Mary, and a chronicle of art with reflections on the impact of architecture on people’s knowledge of the history of different countries.

Last updated: March 8, 2016