skip to page content
- This manuscript map shows the fortress of San Sebastian on the Island of Mozambique, a small but strategic island off the coast of the African mainland. The fortress was built in the 16th century by the Portuguese, who developed the island into a major trading port. The structure was constructed in an Italianate style out of local materials, and incorporated an intricate system of collecting rainwater, needed to compensate for the island's lack of fresh water. This map was drawn in 1741, as the Portuguese were planning a renovation of the fortress to incorporate new defense structures. The fortress was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1991.
Title in Original Language
Planta da fortaleza de Mofs [Moçambique] com as novas obras projectadas para melhor defesa
Type of Item
- 1 manuscript map : color ; 33 x 47 centimeters