skip to page content
- This print is a bird's eye view of the Mower General Hospital, operated by the U.S. Army during the American Civil War. Built in 1862 after the designs of Philadelphia architect John McArthur, Jr., the hospital was located opposite the Chestnut Hill track of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. The hospital received injured soldiers transported directly from the battlefield between January 1863 and May 1865. Designed as a pavilion to control the spread of infection, it consisted of hospital wards radiating from a central enclosed complex of administrative and utility buildings, all within the circumference of a mile. The complex included the administration building, a chapel, post office, bandstand, food preparation shops and storage houses, a barber shop, dining room, and guard house. The buildings are numbered 1–40 in the image, with the key on the bottom of the print near the title. The hospital had fresh water from the Chestnut Hill water works, gas lighting, and indoor plumbing. The complex was razed following the war. The print, by James Fuller Queen, a Philadelphia lithographer and pioneer chromolithographer known for his attention to detail, was used as the frontispiece to Rules and Special Orders of the Mower United States Army General Hospital at Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, published in 1865.
P.S. Duval & Son Lithography, Philadelphia
Type of Item
- 1 print : chromolithograph ; 30 x 52 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 490