skip to page content
- This illustration shows the busy industrial complex of Alfred Jenks & Son, located on the east side of Richmond Street between Franklin and Locust streets in Bridesburg, Philadelphia. The firm was established circa 1819 by Alfred Jenks and enlarged in 1853. A horse-drawn flatbed truck enters the courtyard of the U-shaped complex containing several buildings surrounded by wood fencing. Within the yard, clusters of workers transport boxes and planks of wood. Outside the complex, a driver handles a four-horse team pulling a truck loaded with two large machines, as other factory workers perform various tasks. The roof of the complex has several working smokestacks. The advertisement appeared in Edwin T. Freedley's Philadelphia and its Manufactures (1858).
F. Bourquin & Company Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Alfred Jenks & Son's machine works, Bridesburg
Type of Item
- 1 print : lithograph ; 10 x 16 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 13.2