skip to page content
- This print shows the arched gateway entrance to the Woodlands Cemetery. The cemetery was chartered in 1840 on the former estate of botanist William Hamilton at 3900 Woodland Avenue in West Philadelphia. The view includes the classical entrance arch and two families, one entering and one exiting, both attired in black. The entranceway, built after the designs of John McArthur, Jr., was razed in 1936. McArthur was the architect of some of Philadelphia’s most important Civil War-era buildings. The print, by James Fuller Queen, a Philadelphia lithographer and pioneer chromolithographer known for his attention to detail, was used as the frontispiece to The Charter, By-laws, and Regulations of the Woodlands Cemetery Company, with a List of Lot Holders, published in 1857.
Lithography of P.S. Duval & Son, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Woodlands Cemetery. Main entrance
Type of Item
- 1 print : lithograph ; 10 x 17 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 866