skip to page content
- This print is a view of the front facade of the First Congregational Unitarian Church, located on the 900 block of Locust Street in Philadelphia. The church was built in 1828 after the designs of Philadelphia architect William Strickland (1788–1854), who was one of the first architects of the Greek Revival style in the United States, as well as a civil engineer and artist. Also shown are pedestrian traffic and a partial view of neighboring buildings obscured by trees. The columns supporting the portico of the church were salvaged from Benjamin Latrobe's pump house at Center Square. The church was demolished in 1885. The illustration is by William L. Breton, a watercolorist and early lithographer of Philadelphia scenes who was active in the city between about 1825 and 1855. Born in England circa 1773, Breton immigrated to Philadelphia about 1824. In the late 1820s, he contributed illustrations to Annals of Philadelphia, compiled by the antiquarian John F. Watson. In 1829 Breton entered the lithographic trade to execute the illustrations for the Annals. He worked extensively with the firm of Kennedy & Lucas, operated by David Kennedy and William B. Lucas, which produced the first commercial lithographs in Philadelphia. In 1829−30 Breton collaborated with Kennedy & Lucas to produce the first separately-issued series of lithographic views of Philadelphia depicting local churches of different denominations.
Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Unitarian Church Philadelphia
Type of Item
- 1 print : lithograph ; 20 x 29 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 772