skip to page content
- This print is a northeast view of Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church, located at Third and Pine Streets in Philadelphia. Well-dressed people, possibly members of the church, are seen walking on the sidewalks along the walls of the churchyard. The illustration is by William L. Breton, a watercolorist and early lithographer of Philadelphia scenes who was active in the city between about 1825 and 1855. Born in England circa 1773, Breton immigrated to Philadelphia about 1824. In the late 1820s, he contributed illustrations to Annals of Philadelphia, compiled by the antiquarian John F. Watson. In 1829 Breton entered the lithographic trade to execute the illustrations for the Annals. He worked extensively with the firm of Kennedy & Lucas, operated by David Kennedy and William B. Lucas, which produced the first commercial lithographs in Philadelphia. In 1829−30 Breton collaborated with Kennedy & Lucas to produce the first separately issued series of lithographic views of Philadelphia depicting local churches of different denominations.
Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
North-east view of St. Peter's Church (Episcopal) Philada.
Type of Item
- 1 print : lithograph ; 21 x 29 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 511