skip to page content
- This print shows the Friends (Quaker) Meeting House on Cherry Street in Philadelphia. Quakers count Sunday as the first day of the week, so the reference in the title to the fourth day is to Wednesday. Members of the Hicksite congregation, including men, women, and children, are shown arriving at and leaving the church. Some of the women carry umbrellas. The caption at the bottom explains: “The Building which is about 42 feet front on Cherry Street by 100 feet deep was commenced on the 19th of the 11th month of 1827, and was completely finished so that Meeting was held therein on First day the 3rd of 2nd Month of 1828—a period of only 68 working days in the most inclement Season of the year.—Such dispatch has been hitherto unknown in this or perhaps any other city.” The print is by William L. Breton, a watercolorist and early lithographer of Philadelphia scenes who was active in the city between about 1825 and 1855. Born in England circa 1773, Breton immigrated to Philadelphia about 1824. In the late 1820s, he contributed illustrations to Annals of Philadelphia, compiled by the antiquarian John F. Watson. In 1829 Breton entered the lithographic trade to execute the illustrations for the Annals and continued to work with the printers of the plates, the first commercial Philadelphia lithographers, Kennedy & Lucas, throughout the early 1830s. The collaboration also created, in 1829–30, the first separately issued series of lithographic views of Philadelphia depicting local churches of different denominations.
Kennedy & Lucas's Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
A fourth day morning view of Friends Meeting House on Cherry Street, Philadelphia
Type of Item
- 1 print : lithograph ; 20 x 19 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 272