skip to page content
- This photochrome print of the harbor in Philippeville (present-day Skikda), Algeria, is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The town was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and searoutes: Handbook for Travellers as “the youngest Algerian seaport.” It was founded by Marshal of France Comte Sylvain Charles Valée, to serve as a port for Constantine (present-day Qacentina) after French forces led by Valée conquered the city in 1837. The harbor became, along with Bona (present-day Annaba), the chief outlet for the produce of the province. Built on the ruins of earlier Phoenician and Roman towns, Philippeville was also the site of the ruins of the largest Roman theater in Algeria, “erected at the earliest under Hadrian,” and it was home to a museum whose “collections include some valuable Roman antiquities.”
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
- 1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6210".