skip to page content
- This photochrome print from Bona (present-day Annaba) in northeast Algeria is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The town was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as “the chief seaport of Algeria after Oran and Algiers and the most important outlet for the produce of the département of Constantine [present-day Qacentina], such as phosphates, iron, zinc, cork, cattle, and cereals.” Founded on or near the Roman site of Hippo Regius, Bona was the bishopric of Saint Augustine and the site of an important church synod in 393 that established the canon of the New Testament. Bona was destroyed by the Vandals in the fifth century. Its large harbor attracted the Phoenicians in the 1300s BC and Barbary pirates from the 16th to the 19th centuries AD.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
- 1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6277".