Arab Market, Blida, Algeria
This photochrome print of a bustling market scene at Blida, Algeria, is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). According to the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers, the town was “one of the pleasantest provincial towns in Algeria, with a strong garrison … charmingly situated at the N. base of the Tell Atlas, on the right bank of the Oued el-Kebir.” Blida was a Roman military site, but the town “is said to have been founded by Andalusian Moors in 1535; in 1825 it was destroyed by an earthquake; it has been rebuilt since 1838, but in 1867 it was again much damaged by an earthquake.” According to Baedeker, the river and winter rainfall provided plentiful irrigation for the town’s many fountains and gardens, as well as for the extensive orange groves in the northern suburbs, olive trees, cedars, and cork-oak trees.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6299".
Last updated: August 13, 2014