skip to page content
- This photochrome print of the Great Mosque in Algiers is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Al-Djamaa el-Kabir (the Great Mosque) was first built in about 1097 and, although subsequently much modified, is regarded as a rare architectural survival of the Almoravid period in North Africa. Abu Takhfin added the minaret in 1322–24; the French added the gallery on the outside of the building in 1837–40 when they rebuilt the street. According to the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers, entrance to the mosque was “by a portico…leading into a court, embellished with a Turkish fountain, and to the unadorned sacred building itself, with its eleven aisles or arcades and horseshoe arches resting on low pillars.”
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
- 1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6247".