skip to page content
- This photochrome print of the harbor in Algiers is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Also seen in the image is one of the harbor’s lighthouses, built in 1544, on the site of an old Spanish castle and the fort of Peñón. According to the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers, “the sole Harbour, prior to the French period, was the Ancien Port, or Darse de l’Amirauté, constructed by Kheireddin Barbarossa.” Barbarossa (circa 1478–1546) was a Greco-Turkish pirate, Ottoman admiral, and pasha of Algiers. He demolished the Peñón fort and used the stone to construct a breakwater forming the inner harbor. The French expanded the port at great cost in the mid-19th and early 20th centuries, so that it eventually came to cover more than 86 hectares.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
- 1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6244".