skip to page content
- This 1764 map shows three fortresses located off the coast of Rio de Janeiro in Guanabara Bay: Fortaleza de São João da Barra do Rio de Janeiro, Forte de Santa Cruz da Barra, and Forte de Laje. Located on a rocky outcropping at the entrance to the bay, Santa Cruz da Barra was built by the French in 1555. The Portuguese expelled the French from Guanabara Bay in 1567 and took over the fortress, which they used to control the entrance to the bay.
Title in Original Language
Plano da cituação das tres principaes Fortalezas da entrada da Barra do Rio de Janeiro
Type of Item
- 1 manuscript map : color ; 54 x 75 centimeters