skip to page content
- In the colonial period, the Langford Brooke family of Mere in Cheshire, England, owned several properties on the island of Antigua. This map from 1821 shows the Jonas estate. The references at the right provide information about the shares of land devoted to growing sugar cane and to other uses, as well as a key to the plantation’s structures, which included the windmill, boiling house, curing house, rum cellar, the overseer’s rooms, the sick house and laying-in room, the great house and offices, and pens for mules and cattle. An accompanying ground plan, produced by the same surveyor, depicted the estate’s works and buildings in more detail. Antigua’s earliest inhabitants were the Siboney people, followed by Arawak and Carib Indians. The first European to visit the island was Christopher Columbus in 1493, who named it “Santa Maria de la Antigua.” In 1632, the British established a colony on Antigua, and began importing large numbers of slaves from Africa to work on its sugar cane plantations. The slaves were freed in 1834, but many former slaves continued to work on the sugar plantations. In 1981, Antigua became independent as part of the country of Antigua and Barbuda.
Title in Original Language
A Plan of the Estate called Jonas's Situated in the Division of North Sound in the Island of Antigua, the Property of Peter Langford Brooke, Esqr.
Type of Item
- 1 color manuscript map; 59 x 65 centimeters
- Scale approximately 1:3,000