skip to page content
- This photograph of a Russian Orthodox church in the ancient city of Khodzhent (Khujand, in Tajik) comes from Turkestan Album, one of the richest sources of visual information on the cultural monuments of Central Asia as they appeared in the 19th century. This multi-volume edition was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of Konstantin P. von Kaufman, a Russian army general and the empire's first governor-general of Turkestan. Kaufman held that position from 1867 to 1886, during which time he played a major role in establishing Russia's dominant position in Central Asia. The forces of conquest were followed by administrators and entrepreneurs, as well as scholars interested in documenting the region's remarkable Islamic cultural heritage. The primary photographic compilers for the Turkestan Album were Aleksandr L. Kun (1840-88), an orientalist attached to the army, and Nikolai V. Bogaevskii (1843-1912), a military engineer.The church pictured here evidently was built soon after 1866, when the Khanate of Kokand was absorbed into Russia's Central Asian domains. Its construction shows an adaptation of local building methods, such as the combination of wooden elements and clay walls. Although modest in size, the church would have served as a signal of the Russian presence in the area.
Title in Original Language
Сыръ-дарьинская область. Православные церкви. В г. Ходженде.
Type of Item
- 1 photographic print : albumen