skip to page content
- This photochrome print is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Located in the 16th Arrondissement (district), the Trocadéro area of Paris occupies a height above the River Seine and is named in honor of the 1823 Battle of Trocadéro, in which French forces intervened in neighboring Spain to restore the rule of King Ferdinand VII. Shown here is the Palais du Trocadéro, which the 1900 edition of Baedeker's Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers described as “a huge building in the Oriental style, designed by Davioud and Bourdais for the Exhibition of 1878.” The palace was also one of the main attractions of the 1900 Exposition Universelle, as the Paris World’s Fair was known. Baedeker noted that the Parc du Trocadéro, the square that surrounds the building, "is not large, but is tastefully laid out and well kept up, though at present it has been greatly altered for the Colonial Section of the Exhibition of 1900.” The Palais du Trocadéro was torn down in 1937 and replaced by the Palais de Chaillot.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
- 1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.