skip to page content
- This edition of the Buddhist canon was printed between about the ninth year of the Huangtong era of Xizong of the Jin dynasty and sometime in the Dading era of Shizong, and for this reason is called the "Jin Tripitaka" by scholars. It is also called the “Jin Tripitaka from Tianning Temple in Xiezhou" because the woodblocks were carved at Tianning Temple on Jinglin Mountain, in Xiezhou, Shanxi (modern Xie County in the Jinnan district). In 1933, the work was rediscovered at Guangsheng Temple in Zhaocheng County, Shanxi, so its name is also abbreviated as "Zhaocheng Tripitaka.” According to historical records, the creation of the Jin Tripitaka was funded by a woman named Cui Fazhen, a commoner from Zhangzi County in Luzhou, with the support of many believers in the area. Altogether, over 168,000 woodblocks were carved, comprising 6,980 juan (sections) of text. The Jin Tripitaka was based on the tenth-century "Kaibao Tripitaka" and continued the printing traditions of publishing on the North China plain. This work has great documentary value because many of the sutras in this edition of the canon are missing from, or were not included in, other editions.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
- Six sheets, 248.6 × 29.1 centimeters; wood blocks