skip to page content
- This 1905 photograph shows Church Square in Pretoria, South Africa, looking east. The cast iron fountain, known as the Sammy Marks Fountain, was imported from Ireland by businessman Sammy Marks (1843-1920) and moved from Church Square to the city zoo in 1910. Born in Lithuania, the son of a Jewish tailor, Marks came to South Africa in 1868. He began his career by peddling jewelry and cutlery, but soon became involved in the rapidly developing gold-, diamond-, and coal-mining industries. Behind the fountain is the recently completed Tudor Chambers, then the largest office block in Pretoria, built by George Heys (1852-1939), another prominent South African businessman. Heys was a native of Durban who moved to Pretoria as a young man. He founded the (stage) coach transport company of Heys and Gibson that operated between Kimberley and Pretoria, and later branched out into real estate and investments. The photograph is from the Van der Waal Collection at the Department of Library Services at the University of Pretoria, South Africa. The Van der Waal Collection forms part of an archive of South African architecture assembled by architectural historian Dr. Gerhard-Mark van der Waal.
Title in Original Language
Kerkplein, Pretoria, Suid-Afrika, 1905
Type of Item
- Printed photograph, black and white