This 1662 Latin map of Arabia is a copy of an earlier map by Willem Janszoon Blaeu (1571-1638), the founder of the Blaeu cartographic firm. It is one of the first maps to show internal features of the Arabian Peninsula. Mountains are depicted, oases denoted by trees, and points used to indicate pearl deposits in the Arabian Gulf. The map uses dotted lines to show international borders. The Red Sea is denoted by three Latin names: Mare Rubrum (Red Sea), Mare Mecca (Sea of Mecca), and Sinus Arabicus (Gulf of Arabia). The Blaeu firm published the first edition of the Atlas Novus (New atlas) in 1635. Sons Joan (1596-1673) and Cornelis (died 1648) took over the firm after their father’s death and continued to produce expanded and improved editions of the atlas.
Type of Item
1 map; color; 40 x 51 centimeters
Last updated: June 17, 2014