skip to page content
- This hand-colored engraving of the Dutch colonial capital of Batavia (present-day Jakarta) was created by Jan Van Ryne in 1754. Van Ryne was born in the Netherlands, but spent most of his working life in London, where he specialized in producing engravings of scenes from the British and Dutch colonies. Located at the mouth of the Ciliwung River, Jakarta was the site of a settlement and port possibly going back as far as the fifth century A.D. In 1619, the Dutch captured and razed the existing city of Jayakerta (meaning “glorious fortress” in Sundanese) and built the walled township of Batavia, which became the capital of the Dutch East Indies. The engraving is from the collections of the KITLV/Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies in Leiden.
Title in Original Language
Vue de l'isle et de la ville de Batavia appartenant aux Hollandois, pour la Compagnie des Indes
Type of Item
- Copperplate engraving, colored; 24 x 38.5 centimeters