skip to page content
- This hand-colored map of the Holy Land is a reprint of a map that appeared in the 1662 edition of Nicolas Sanson’s Geographia sacra (Sacred geography), first published in 1653. Sanson (1600-67) is considered by many to be the founder of the French school of cartography. The map was published in Amsterdam in 1704 by François Halma (1653-1722), a Dutch bookseller and publisher who started a business in Utrecht, later moved to Amsterdam, and finally settled in Leeuwarden.
Franciscus Halma, Amsterdam
Title in Original Language
Geographiae Sacrae ex V. & N. Test. desumptae, Tabula secunda in qua Terra Promissa in suas Tribus Partesque divisa
Type of Item
- Copperplate; 390 x 497 millimeters