The African West and Catholic Missions, Congo and Oubangi
In the late 19th century, France competed with the International Congo Association of King Leopold of Belgium for control of the vast Congo River Basin. Under the leadership of the Franco-Italian explorer and empire builder Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza, between 1882 and 1891 France managed to conclude treaties with most of the rulers on the right bank of the river, placing their lands under French protection. In 1908, France organized its territories in the region into French Equatorial Africa, which included the colonies of Middle Congo (the present-day Republic of the Congo), Gabon, Chad, and Oubangui-Chari (the modern Central African Republic). Brazzaville, named after Brazza, became the federal capital. This early-20th century work deals with the history, people, and political organization of the French colonies along the Congo. The final chapter is devoted to the Catholic missions of the region. The work is dedicated to Prosper Augouard (1852-1921), a French priest and missionary who was sent to Africa in 1878, settled in Brazzaville in 1887, and in 1890 was appointed Bishop of Brazzaville and vicar apostolic of the Upper Congo and Oubangui.
H. Oudin, Paris
Title in Original Language
L'Ouest africain et les missions catholiques: Congo et Oubanghi
Type of Item
viii, 321 pages : illustrations ; 28 centimeters
Last updated: September 22, 2014