skip to page content
- France and Britain vied for control of Dominica for many years. In 1763, the British gained possession of the island. This detailed map shows British-owned estates and a plantation on the Atlantic side of the island. Details on the map include individual buildings and structures, roads, sections of the plantation identified by number, administrative divisions of the estates identified by letters, streams, pictorial representations of vegetation and relief, the coastline and coastal features, and a vignette of ships in the harbor. The map also includes a keyed legend listing the size of each section of the plantation and of each division of the estates. The inset panoramic view, "Rosalij", shows plantation houses, cultivated and cleared fields, a ship in the harbor off to the right, wooded hills in the background, and two small figures of a European and an African in the left foreground. The map is oriented with west at the top.
Title in Original Language
A Plan of the Rosalij Compy. Estates, the Property of His Excelly. Charles O'Harra, the Honble. Leiut. Gov. Will. Stuart, James Clarke & Rob. & Phill. Browne, Esqrs., Situated at Rosalij in the Parish of St. David, Dominica. Survey'd by Isaac Werden. 1776.
Type of Item
- 1 color map, 125 x 92 centimeters
- Scale approximately 1:3,960