Bom Jesus de Lapa
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. In 1868, photographer Augusto Riedel accompanied Luis Augusto, Duke of Saxe, son-in-law of Emperor Pedro II, on an expedition into the interior of Brazil. The expedition visited the sanctuary of Bom Jesus da Lapa in Bahia state. Francisco de Mendonca Mar founded the sanctuary in 1691 on a grotto-filled hill beside the São Francisco River. Over time, the area developed to include a hospital, a residence for the poor, and later a town, which also was known as Bom Jesus da Lapa.
Capim Grosso, Brazil
Type of Item
1 photo : albumin paper, black and white ; 22.2 x 28.6 centimeters
Last updated: September 29, 2014