Jailhouse at Ouro Preto

Description

The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The jailhouse in the gold mining town of Ouro Preto was constructed between 1784 and 1837. It served as a prison through the 19th century. In 1938, the building became the Museum of the Inconfidência, a Brazilian independence movement led by miners. The building was photographed by Augusto Riedel during an expedition into the interior of Brazil with the son-in-law of Emperor Pedro II, Luis Augusto, Duke of Saxe. Various cities in the state of Minas Gerais were visited during the expedition, the most famous of which was Ouro Preto. Known for its baroque facades, the city was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1980.

Last updated: September 29, 2014