Boa Vista, Tijuca: Right Side
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. This photograph of Barra da Tijuca by landscape photographer George Leuzinger (1813-92) is one of the oldest pictures of this Rio de Janeiro neighborhood. To the right is the Alto da Boa Vista and the area that later would become Vizeu Square. The houses in the lower right were built by the Baron of Maua around 1850, with material imported from England. The neighborhood is the gateway to the Tijuca Forest, a hand-planted rainforest in the center of Rio that is the world’s largest urban forest.
Rio de Janeiro
Title in Original Language
[Boa] Vista, Tijuca: lado direito
Type of Item
1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 19.8 x 25.7 centimeters
Last updated: July 8, 2014