Aqueduct of Saint Teresa: House Under the Arches
The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The Carioca Aqueduct, also called the Arcos da Lapa or simply, the Arches, was built in the early 18th century to carry fresh water from the Carioca River to the city of Rio de Janeiro. The aqueduct, which was inaugurated in 1750, runs 270 meters between the hills of Santa Thereza and São Anthony and consists of 42 arches in two levels. At the end of the 19th century, the aqueduct was adapted to provide a track for the Santa Tereza Historic Tramway, which runs from the center of Rio to the hilly neighborhood of Santa Tereza. It is the only tramway still operating in Rio today. The aqueduct was photographed by Rafael Castro y Ordonez as part of the Scientific Commission of the Pacific.
Rio de Janeiro
Title in Original Language
Acqueducto de Sta. Thereza: casa sob os arcos
Type of Item
1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 16.4 x 22.4 centimeters
Last updated: September 18, 2015