skip to page content
- The Thereza Christina Maria collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Emperor Pedro II (1825-91) throughout his life and donated by him to the National Library of Brazil. The collection covers a wide variety of subjects. It documents the achievements of Brazil and Brazilians in the 19th century and also includes many photographs of Europe, Africa, and North America. The Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro was founded in 1808 by King John VI of Portugal and opened to the public in 1822. It remains one of the world’s greatest tropical gardens, boasting a collection of more than 7,000 species of tropical plants. One of the garden’s most striking features is the avenue of royal palms, shown here as photographed by Rafael Castro y Ordonez as part of the Scientific Commission of the Pacific.
Title in Original Language
Jardim Botanico: Alameda das Palmeiras Imperiais
Type of Item
- 1 photo : albumen paper, black and white ; 24.7 x 18.1 centimeters