skip to page content
- This 1893 map of the República Oriental del Uruguay (Eastern Republic of Uruguay), as the country is officially called, shows railroad lines (both in operation and under construction), telegraph lines, and submarine cables; and provinces and provincial boundaries. Relief is shown by hachures. The map provides navigational information relating to the Rio de la Plata, including water depths in meters and the location and visibility of lighthouses. Originally part of the Spanish Viceroyalty of the Rio de La Plata that also included Argentina, Paraguay, and parts of Bolivia, Brazil, and Chile, Uruguay achieved independence after a long struggle in the early 19th century that involved Spain, Portugal, Brazil, and Argentina. The Uruguayans originally broke from Spain in 1814, but the country was then occupied by Portuguese troops and annexed to the Portuguese colony of Brazil. With support from Argentina, Uruguayan patriots revolted against Brazil in 1825. In 1828 Brazil recognized the independence of Uruguay, largely under pressure from Great Britain, which objected to the Brazilian blockade of the ports of Montevideo and Buenos Aires. The map was produced in Montevideo and is now preserved in the Columbus Memorial Library of the Organization of American States in Washington, D.C.
Title in Original Language
Mapa de la República Oriental del Uruguay, 1893
Type of Item
- 1 map : color ; 35 x 40 centimeters